It’s Between You and Your Doctor
Take a short 12 question hip, knee or shoulder quiz to find out your hip, knee or shoulder score and some possible next steps to help you on your road to recovery.
Take a Quiz
When Are You Ready For a Joint Replacement?
Generally, if you have significant pain everyday that limits your normal activities then you are ready for a joint replacement or joint resurfacing. This decision is made by the patient, primary care physician and orthopedic surgeon. There are some treatments that are less invasive than surgery which should be considered first. You may consider surgery after these treatments have failed or if you are still unable to maintain your normal lifestyle.
Usually, if you’re ready, you will have:
- Pain that limits normal activity
- Pain at rest
- Pain that affects sleep
- Chronic swelling/inflammation
- Failure to obtain relief from NSAID (anti-inflammatory) medications or inability to tolerate those medications
- Failure to improve after cortisone injections, physical therapy or less invasive surgery
Are You Ready For Joint Replacement?
- Do you limit the types of activities you do because you have aching, burning or stiffness in your knee or hip?
- Is it difficult to get up after sitting for a period of time?
- Do you limit the number of outings you do (i.e. going to the mall, out to dinner, or meeting with friends) because of discomfort or stiffness in joints?
- Have you tried over the counter and/or prescription medications to help alleviate discomfort but they are no longer working?
- Do you have trouble falling asleep at night because of hip or knee discomfort?